About St Ives
St Ives Lodge, Restaurant & Wedding Venue is situated in Lions River which is in the beautiful Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands on the R103, 10 kilometers from Howick, 7 kilometers from Midmar Dam, 20 minutes from Pietermaritzburg and one hour from Durban. This beautiful estate is home to an array of wildlife, trout and an abundance of bird life.
Prior to the 1800's the Midlands of Natal was used by the Zulu royal as a hunting reserve which was abundant with elephant and lion. The last lion to be killed in the whole district was shot in a deep gulley on St Ives Hill, and the shooting of this lion resulted in the area, looking down onto the river below, to be called “Lions River”.
The name St Ives originates from the birthplace of John Day, who was born at St Ives, Huntingdonshire in England and purchased the farm from the Boer Settlers in 1862.
The first Durban to Johannesburg railway line ran directly through St Ives and reached Johannesburg in 1893.
St Ives was established as a horse stud in the early 1900's and was a renowned nursery for top thoroughbreds including the horse “Legacy” winner of the July handicap in 1933. ridden by Ernest "Tinker" Lariviere, the betting stood at 13 to 2 and won William Raw, the owner of St Ives at the time 5000 pounds.
“Let No Dissention Arise In Our Beloved Borough Of St Ives and Let No Man Decry The Legacy Of St Ives